Coach No. 11

This vehicle was built in 1894 by The Ashbury Railway Carriage & Iron Co. for the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways (later the Welsh Highland Railway). It was one of four (Nos. 11 - 14) known as Summer Coaches. Nos. 11 & 12 were semi-glazed whilst Nos. 13 & 14 had no glazing; otherwise the bodies were quite similar. All four coaches had stable doors and the non-glazed windows had window bars. 'Norwegian' couplers and side chains, lighting and ventilators were fitted. The carriages were delivered with Westinghouse air brakes. They were finished in with light brown upper panels and chocolate below the waist, in a style similar to that used by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly. The lettering and lining was in gold-shaded vermilion, similar to Coach No. 8. Each door had the class number (3), and 'N.W.N.G.' flanked by the vehicle number was on each side. The roofs were white when delivered, but were repainted grey later.

Like Russell, the Summer Coaches were cut down in 1923 to fit the restricted Ffestiniog Railway loading gauge. This was done by lowering them on their bogie bolsters and cutting the sides above the windows; this reduced the roof height and spoiled their neat external lines. Vacuum brakes were subsequently fitted in place of the Westinghouse brakes in order to operate them with other FR stock. Nos. 11 & 12 (semi-glazed) were renumbered 23 and 24, respectively, according to the WHR/FR numbering scheme. Likewise, Nos. 13 & 14 (unglazed) were renumbered 27 and 28, respectively.

Sometime between 1923 and 1934 they received a new livery of FR Kentish Green, along with the rest of the carriage stock. Enamelled plates on each door, showing the class, replaced the lettering. The sides were flanked with 'WELSH HIGHLAND RLY'.

Although Coach 23 (formerly No. 11) was repainted since the restoration of the FR, it has since been returned to its WHR livery, as can be seen in the recent photograph.


Number 11  
Name Summer Car  
Type Seven 3rd Class compartments semi-glazed.  
Builder Ashbury Rly Carriage & Iron Co.  
Built 1894  
Wheel arrangement Bogie  
Brakes Originally air, converted to vacuum.  
Length 30'  
Width 6'  
Seats 42  
Arrived W.H.R. -  
Owners FR Ltd  

See Also

Carriage 11 in light snow
NWNGR Carriage 11 at Ffestiniog Railway Harbour Station, preserved by the FR.