0-6-0 Tank Locomotive
Andrew Barclay No.1578 of 1918 Gertrude was one of three identical 0-6-0 tank locomotives built specifically for the Sydenham Ironstone quarry in Oxfordshire. The others were Winifred (No.1424 of 1915) and The Doll (No.1641 of 1919).
A downturn in trade came during the Depression that led to an early demise for the Sydenham Quarry operation in June 1925. Thereafter, the three Barclay sisters of Sydenham were transferred to Bilston where Gertrude and The Doll worked until they were withdrawn in 1959.
Although Winifred was scrapped, the other two both survived into preservation, Gertrude being based mostly at Studley in Warwickshire and then Exmoor.
Gertrude came to the WHR in 2010. The following video shows the delivery of Gertrude back to Pen-y-Mount from a show in Birmingham, via Minffordd Yard and Ffestiniog Harbour Station (the usual loading ramp being unavailable at the time). 26th Nov 2011
|Builder||Andrew Barclay, Kilmarnock|
|Driving wheel diameter||26"||660mm|
|Tank capacity||210 gallons||954 l|
|Heating surface||4 square feet||0.37m²|
|Boiler pressure||160 psi||1.10MPa|
|Cylinders||Two off, 11" x 15"||279mm x 381mm|
|Tractive effort||4573 pounds||20.3kN||at 75% boiler pressure|
|Weight||10 tons||in working order|
|Maximum axle load||-|
|Owners||Exmoor Transport Ltd||
- Gertrude has her own website.